Monday, August 29, 2011

Don't Panic if Lost Data While Software Update

Data loss during software updation is one of the most commonly found reasons of the loss.  The reason  behind data loss due to software upgrade is that during updation large number of read and write operations occurred simultaneously and if system configuration is not such that it can handle the same, it results to  accidental shut  down which could lead to data loss.

I have recently faced data loss last month when I was upgrading to OS X Lion from snow leopard. Everything went smoothly except when  I logged in to OS X Lion I found my important files missing. I was like bearing 10 thousand volt electric shock!! I remembered that I have bought Stellar Phoenix Mac data recovery software last year but problem is I have recently upgraded to Mac OS X Lion and I was not sure whether it could recover or not. But I decided to give it a try...

The screen now in front of me is educating
about what Deleted File Recovery will do? It saying use this option to recover the files that has been deleted accidentally . It scans unused blocks of  to recover deleted files.

After choosing the volume and it the scanning process begins as shown in figure:





It is time taking process because software is going to scan all unused block in the volume for the lost files. After sometime it list all the deleted files in front of me. I previewed all my important files before going for actual recovery.  I was well aware that if I am going to recover all files it will take long time so I used filter option present in the below left of the screen.  As in my case I wanted to recover only some web files (.html) for now. Also, I have added one fake file format “*.abcd” to test its accuracy.

Now its time for actual recovery so I just clicked continue and process started. After few hours I when process stopped I found my all those files in my destination drive.

I was so afraid because I was not sure about the Stellar phoenix Mac Data recovery whether it will work on OS X Lion or not. But this trust worthy software by Stellar did not make me unhappy in the time when I need it most.